This burger is composed of many of my favorite food items such as bacon and egg, but I prefer to call it ‘Kimchi Cheese Burger’ because ‘Kimchi’ and ‘Cheese’ are both words that make your face smile when taking photos. In that regard, it can be called ‘Double Smile Burger’. As Kimchi has become a popular condiment, people enjoy it in many different ways, and I mix it with ground beef in this recipe. As you munch on the burger, it gives a slight tang and crunchy texture. You don’t need any other pickles. I’m sure this burger will make you smile twice, if not more!
Ingredients (4 portions)
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 cup kimchi drained and chopped
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
4 burger buns
Lettuce of your choice
4 slices of cheddar cheese
4 large eggs, cooked over easy or over medium
8 strips of bacon
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the strips of bacon on a baking sheet pan and bake them for about 15-20 minutes until they are golden-brown in color. Drain the fat and set a side.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the onions on medium heat for about 20 minutes until very soft. Stir occasionally.
3. Mix the beef and kimchi in a bowl. Shape it with your own hands into 4 round patties and season each burger on both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan and toast the burger buns.
5. Cook burger patties for 3-4 minutes on each side until medium rare. Add a slice of cheese on each patty 30 seconds before done and let it melt.
6. Spread mustard on buns and stack each burger in the order of lettuce, burger patties, egg, bacon, yellow onion, and buns.