Kimchi Pancakes (Kimchi Jeon)
It’s a lazy late weekend afternoon and you get a craving for a snack. You open the refrigerator… a few things here and there and a half full pouch of Kimchi is on your radar. It tastes quite ripe and you don’t even remember when you bought that Kimchi. This creates a perfect mood for cooking this soul-filling Kimchi pancake.
If you like your pancake crispy, consider a few things:
1. Use icy cold water for batter.
2. Don’t mix batter too much.
3. Use plenty of oil… think of it as more like pan frying.
4. Wait until the pan is hot before adding the batter to the pan.
5. Don’t flip too often.. Flipping only once is enough.
Ingredients (Makes 3 Pancakes)
1/2 cup icy cold water
1/4 cup Kimchi juice saved from draining Kimchi, keep cold.
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup Kimchi, chopped and Kimchi juice drained (save the Kimchi juice )
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup squid or calamari (optional)
1. Combine water and Kimchi juice and keep it cold.
2. Add an egg and salt in Kimchi juice and water combination. Mix well together. 3. Add flour and mix well.
2. Add chopped Kimchi, Yellow onion, and squid to the batter and mix well.
3. Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet or coated pan. Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, pour into skillet and flatten it using the bottom of a scoop or a ladle.
4. When lightly browned, flip it once, 3-5 minutes on each side.