It’s a lazy late weekend afternoon and you get a craving for a snack. You open the refrigerator… a few things here and there and a half full pouch of Kimchi is on your radar. It tastes quite ripe and you don’t even remember when you bought that Kimchi. This creates a perfect mood for cooking this soul-filling Kimchi pancake.
If you like your pancake crispy, consider a few things:
1. Use icy cold water for batter.
2. Don’t mix batter too much.
3. Use plenty of oil… think of it as more like pan frying.
4. Wait until the pan is hot before adding the batter to the pan.
5. Don’t flip too often.. Flipping only once is enough.
Ingredients (Makes 3 Pancakes)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup icy cold water
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup Kimchi, chopped (the riper, the better)
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup squid or calamari (optional)
Canola or vegetable oil
1. Stir together cold water, salt, and an egg in a bowl and mix well. Add flour and mix well.
2. Add Kimchi, Yellow onion, and squid to the batter and mix well.
3. Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet or coated pan. Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, pour into skillet and flatten it as thin as possible using the bottom of a scoop or a ladle.
4. When lightly browned, flip it once, 3-5 minutes on each side.